Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Brave Boy!

As most of my Facebook Buddies know (because of this pic), Vidur ran into the wall. It was the scariest thing watching my maid bring him to me with a terrible wound near his eye. As soon as I saw it, I realized that I have to take him to the doctor. I called my mom and told her to catch hold of V's doctor, took the car and rushed out. On the way, I was informed that the doctor suggested that I take him directly to a hospital. The traffic was pretty bad. Rajeev was stuck in training and therefore, there was no point contacting him.

My cousin (the hero of the day) kept calling me to check where I was going, whether I was fine, etc. I reached the hospital finally and asked the security were I had to park the car. The security guy took one look at Vidur and said leave your car here and take your son to the emergency. He then asked me how it happened as I parked it as close I could to the curb. After I explained briefly, he started saying in Hindi 'You people just don't take care of your children. Look what has happened to him.' Needless to say, I saw red. I took a precious half minute to tell him what I thought 'Is it really important for me to listen to your lecture now? Do you realize how worried and upset I am as his mother? Can you please shut up?' He got a little worried and said 'Yes ma'am. The emergency ward is this way.' I can truly understand how Geet from Jab we Met felt with that old station master.

As I entered the emergency, people jumped to attention. They immediately took over and started cleaning the wound. Till before this, Vidur insisted that he did not want to meet a doctor. But the nurses here were so good with him, he allowed them to clean as he answered important questions about his school. The doctor asked what happened. All the cleaning and the worry finally got to me. I called up my cousin and told him I needed him here. He was already on his way with my mom. What I am skipping due to acute embarrassment is the fact that I felt giddy and nurses and doc insisted that I lie down in the bed next to Vidur. Very embarrassing and funny! Vidur asked me what happened and I said nothing, it's my chance now. He was happy with that. The emergency people insisted Vidur will not need stitches but he has to meet the plastic surgeon about the scar. By this time, Vidur was enjoying all the attention he was getting. He was actually lying down with one leg over another calling for the doctor.

My cousin and mom arrived finally. They were worried about me and so they took over from there. As we waited to see the plastic surgeon, Vidur went back to being Vidur and ran all over the place. People saw his dressing and kept telling him go slowly and giving me dirty looks. As he was running, my sweet child stopped in front of me, put his hand under my chin and asked 'Amma, you ok?' I had tears in my eyes as I said 'I am fine sweetie. Are you ok?' (ok enough mush) He said 'Am fine' and continued running and driving my cousin crazy. :)

The plastic surgeon had one look at his wound and said he needs stitches. He believed that Vidur will cooperate and so we can do it with local anesthesia. Karthik was the pillar of support at the treatment room. He kept saying please wait outside. I will be with him. But I had to stay with Vidur. Vidur was a really, really brave boy. He did as he was told, didn't cry and was an angel (shows he can be when he wants to be). He just didn't like the fact that water was falling over his face and kept complaining about that. But understood when I explained that the doctor was cleaning the wound. The doctor finally said it's almost over and I parroted the same for Vidur. Vidur said 'Thank you uncle'. Sweetheart, remembers his manners at the weirdest of situations! By the time the doctor finished, he was asleep.  The doctor said 'Boys his age usually scream and shout and cry. He is a very cooperative boy.' The nurse also promptly agreed and said he is good boy. :)

The weirdest thing is after we got back from the hospital and I was sitting near him, he turned to me and asked 'Amma, you ok?' Then, again last night, in his sleep, he asks me 'Amma, you ok?' Now I am seriously worried whether something is wrong with me :D. Jokes apart, I am touched that Vidur thinks of me even at such a young age, especially when he has been hurt! Love him the most! 

3 comments:

Rashmi said...

Vidur is a really brave boy. I can't imagine any kid his age not bawling if they had to get stitches done. And cute to see how concerned he is..This is one post he is going to be mighty proud abt when he reads it :)

Raj Kishan said...

I like that photo Archie ! We need him for Telangana movement, could you please send him to Hyderabad. We need this kind of brave boys to form Telangana :)

Nishana said...

Well done boy! Archi, you can be proud of him- how much he is caring for you (thats too in this age) even when he is hurt..:)

Brave boy!!!