Monday, December 16, 2013

Stress Busters

After dinner, we were catching up on the older episodes of Mahabharat. Vidur (almost 6) also sat to watch it with us.

The gist of the episode:
Pandavas and kauravas return from Gurukul and the King arranges a competition to showcase the rajkumars' skills. Duryodhan defeats Nakul, Sahdev, Yudhishter and Bheem. Arjun easily defeats Duryodhan by freezing him in a block of ice. Dronacharya declares him the winner and the best archer in the world. To contest this, Karan challenges Arjun. But everyone protests once they find out that Karan is a charioteer's son. 

Vidur asks me why is that man going away without fighting? My husband looks at me as he is clueless about how to go about explaining caste system. I tell Vidur 'He cannot fight Arjun because he is not a king'. The innocent mind quickly processes this information and then says 'But he is wearing nice clothes... why is he not a king?' We burst out laughing as it is true Karan is well dressed. Then I  point out that the Pandavas are slightly better dressed as they are wearing the body armor. This seemed to satisfy him.

Karan and Arjun begin to compete with each other. The duel proves that both are equally good archers. One arrow from Arjun heads straight for Karan. As it reaches Karan, the sun god's protective sheild protects him. 

Vidur then asks what was that yellow thing that came on that man's chest. We explain that it's a shield. He asks where did he get it. So I explain that Karan is the son of the sun and confuse him. :) Then Rajeev explains that Karan said his prayers daily so the sun god gave him the shield to protect him from arrows.

Kids ask the cutest questions!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter is now 1.5 years old. When she refuses to eat, I ask her shall I give it to Tuffy (out 3 year old retriever)? Typically, when they know there's competition, they want the item for themselves. This worked wonderfully in the beginning. Some time back, I offered her a biscuit. She tasted it and did not like it. She handed it back to me and said 'Tuffy'.  :) Now, everytime she decides she doesn't want something, she says Tuffy. Needless to say my dog is reaping the benefits!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mom asked Vidur 'Can I keep Drishya?' Vidur promptly replied 'No, Drishya came from my mom's stomach, so she is mine.'

In another instance, I was telling Vidur that like Drishya, Vidur was also in my tummy. He immediately asks 'Did Tuffy also come from your tummy?'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gone are the days when the kids come complaining about the other. Vidur and his cousin, Rishabh were playing. I heard Vidur apologizing to Rishabh over and over again. Out of curiosity, I asked what happened? Would you believe it - both looked at each other and did not answer. Then Rishabh reluctantly says 'Vidur did something that upset me. That's all.' My kids have grown up and are showing solidarity! :) 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent 10 days at my parents place. My daughter kept calling out to her grandfather referring to him as 'thatha.' He is a little absent minded and didn't respond. When she saw that calling him thatha was not earning her a response, she promptly called him 'Ramu' (my mom calls him that). Dad was stunned and extremely amused.

My darling girl calls me 'Archana' (or her version of it Aschanaaaa) when she is irritated with me. :) KIDS!
 
These are true stress busters. :)


No comments: